The explosion in Yancheng was one of the worst industrial accidents in China in recent years. File photo/ AFP
Police have detained 17 more suspects connected to a chemical blast in eastern China last month which killed 78 and left hundreds injured, local authorities said on Monday.
The explosion in eastern Jiangsu province was one of the worst industrial accidents in the country in recent years and led to the closure of the plant.
Police have taken “criminal coercive measures” against the 17 suspects, said the Yancheng city government on its official Twitter-like Weibo account, bringing the number people rounded up over the blast to 26.
The latest group includes individuals from an unnamed third-party organisation, who are accused of falsifying project evaluations, and Jiangsu Tianjiayi Chemical company, whose plant was involved in the blast.
The March 21 explosion razed an industrial park and blew out the windows of surrounding homes.
China will launch a month-long, nationwide inspection campaign into hazardous chemicals, mines, transportation and fire safety
The blast occurred on Thursday at the Chenjiagang Industrial Park in the city of Yancheng, in Jiangsu province, and the fire was finally brought under control at 3.00am on Friday (1900 GMT), state television said.
The Chinese chemical industry park where an explosion last month killed 78 people and left hundreds injured will be closed, authorities have said.
Dozens of women and children, relatives of Kosovo extremists fighting in Syria, were flown back home by plane on Saturday under heavy security.
The US government is taking aim at the “India-based call centre scam industry,” Assistant Attorney General Brian Benczkowski has warned while announcing the extradition of an Indian citizen from Singapore
China will show off new warships including nuclear submarines and destroyers at a parade next week marking 70 years since its navy’s founding,