Afghan National Army prepare for an operation against insurgents in Khogyani district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan. File Photo/Reuters
JALALABAD (Afghanistan): Twin explosions on Saturday in the eastern Afghanistan city of Jalalabad killed three people and injured 19 others, a government spokesman said.
Two children and eight security forces were among the casualties, said Ataullah Khogyani, spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial government.
It was not clear what caused the explosions.
No group took immediate responsibility. Islamic State emerged in Nangarhar in 2015 on the porous border with Pakistan to become one of Afghanistan's most dangerous militant groups for its bombing and complex attacks.
Fighting between militant groups, and between the Taliban and Afghan forces has intensified in recent weeks amid recurring peace talks.
Abdul Samad Salehi, a provincial councilman, says the convoy was heading to defuse a roadside bomb on Wednesday afternoon when the ambush happened in Anardara district.
The attack outside the Marshal Fahim National Defense University in western Kabul took place at the road entrance to the war college.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, saying they targeted three vehicles of "foreigners" as they tried to enter the heavily guarded Shashdarak area where the Afghan national security authorities have offices.
Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai also defended the Taliban's role in recent bloodshed across the country after US President Donald Trump cited an attack that killed an American soldier as his reason for calling off negotiations earlier this month.
The lockdown is now largely being enforced in high-risk areas while authorities have partially restored train services and domestic flights and allowed shops and manufacturing to reopen.
The shelters boast of an innovative design that had been endorsed by Sheikh Mohammed. It is the first batch under a plan for constructing 1,550 shelters for waiting bus riders set to be constructed over 3-4 years.
The complaint filed against the hospital Medical Superintendent read that the hospital was not using RT-PCR app while collecting COVID-19 samples, which is "mandatory."