Xi Jinping (L) and Donald Trump attend a welcome ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. File photo/ AFP
Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for the “early conclusion of negotiations” on the text of a trade deal with the United States, state media reported on Friday.
The comments, carried by the Xinhua news agency, came as speculation mounted that the two sides were close to finalising an agreement to resolve their nine month-trade war.
The remarks were part of a message conveyed by Chinese vice premier Liu He at a meeting with US President Donald Trump.
“Under the current situation, the healthy and stable development of China-US relations is related to the interests of both Chinese and American people,” said Liu, passing on remarks from Xi.
Washington and Beijing since last year have imposed tariffs on more than $360 billion in two-way trade, biting into their manufacturing sectors as the world economy slows.
Vice Premier and Beijing’s trade envoy Liu flew to Washington this week to continue hammering out trade negotiations.
The two sides “reached a new consensus on important issues” in trade agreement documents, said Xinhua’s report, citing Liu.
Chinese firms, willing to buy American agricultural products, have asked for prices from US firms and will sign commercial contracts, ministry spokesman Gao Feng told a news conference.
Equity investors gave a guarded welcome on Tuesday to a resumption of US-China trade talks, but fretted over weaker global economic data, traders said.
As optimism grows that the United States and China are nearing a trade deal, Japan kicks off its own negotiations with Washington from Monday, hoping to resolve some of the issues «very quickly.» US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Japan›s Economy Minister Toshimitsu Motegi
China’s factory activity shrank more than expected in June, an official manufacturing survey showed, highlighting the need for more economic stimulus as US tariffs and weaker domestic demand ramped up pressure on new orders for goods.
"It is with a sad heart that I announce today the decision to suspend the work at Future TV and settle the rights of the workers," Prime Minister Saad Hariri's office said in a statement.
'The attack was launched from the north and was unquestionably sponsored by Iran,' Al-Malki told journalists
The Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre in collaboration with National Geographic channel would release the first long film documenting the UAE’s extraordinary journey into space.