Brenton Tarrant will face 50 murder charges after 50 killed in attacks on two mosques in Christchurch. File photo/Reuters
SYDNEY: The Australian man accused of killing 50 Muslim worshippers in gun attacks on two mosques in Christchurch will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges, New Zealand police said on Thursday.
“Other charges are still under consideration,” police said in a statement.
Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, a suspected white supremacist, was previously charged with only one murder following the attack and has been remanded without a plea.
He is due back in court on Friday. The March 15 attack was the worst mass shooting by a lone gunman in New Zealand. (Reporting by Tom Westbrook; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)
The body of an Indian student killed in the Christchurch mosque attacks was returned on Monday to her grieving family in Kochi, where relatives remembered a bright young woman dedicated to her studies.
: A far-right Australian senator who said the Christchurch mosque massacre was the result of Muslim immigration into New Zealand was censured for his “ugly and divisive” comments by his parliamentary peers on Wednesday.
Social media executives could spend up to three years in prison and their firms be fined 10 per cent of their turnover if they fail to quickly remove violent material from their platforms, according to a new law proposed by the Australian government
"It is with a sad heart that I announce today the decision to suspend the work at Future TV and settle the rights of the workers," Prime Minister Saad Hariri's office said in a statement.
'The attack was launched from the north and was unquestionably sponsored by Iran,' Al-Malki told journalists
The Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre in collaboration with National Geographic channel would release the first long film documenting the UAE’s extraordinary journey into space.