Afghanistan's Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum. File Photo Reuters
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (Afghanistan): Afghanistan's Vice President, Abdul Rashid Dostum, escaped unhurt from an attack that killed one of his bodyguards on Saturday, dodging death for the second time since returning from exile last year.
Attackers ambushed Dostum's convoy on the way from Mazar-i-Sharif, a city in Balkh province, to Jawzjan province in northern Afghanistan, said Bashir Ahmad Tayenj, spokesman for Dostum's Junbish Party. Two other bodyguards were wounded.
Dostum was aware of a planned attack but decided to travel anyway, the spokesman added.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the assassination attempt, which comes eight months after Dostum avoided injury in a suicide bombing at Kabul airport. In a tweet, the militant group's spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said four guards were killed and six wounded in the attack.
Last summer's bombing, which was claimed by Islamic State, took place as Dostum returned home from more than a year in exile in Turkey over allegations of torturing and abusing a political rival.
Dostum had left Afghanistan after heavy pressure from Western donors including the United States.
Less than a year since his return, the general remains a significant, if polarizing, political figure. His Junbish Party is supported mainly by his fellow ethnic Uzbeks.
Dostum has joined the election team of Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, one of several contenders in a presidential election scheduled for Sept. 28.
Nine Afghan policemen were killed when Taliban fighters stormed their checkpoints and launched a follow-up ambush in the eastern Afghanistan city of Ghazni, officials said on Saturday.
Two children and eight security forces were among the casualties, said Ataullah Khogyani, spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial government.
The Taliban ambushed a police convoy in western Afghanistan, killing seven security forces, an official said on Saturday.
Sudan’s protest leaders on Saturday issued a call for a two-day general strike next week, in a bid to press the ruling military council to transfer power to a civilian-led authority.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Saturday that the US decision to deploy more troops to the Middle East in response to the perceived threat from Iran was “extremely dangerous” for peace.
Two years after Daesh-inspired terrorists laid siege on Marawi City in Mindanao in 2017, about 100,000 residents have remained homeless and are forced to stay with relatives or in evacuation centers severely lacking in basic facilities like potable water, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) warned.