People pay their respects in front of floral tributes for victims of the March 15 mosque attacks, in Christchurch. File Photo/ AFP
KARACHI (Pakistan): The body of a 26-year-old Pakistani who was among 50 worshippers killed during attacks on mosques in New Zealand has arrived at an airport in the southern port city of Karachi.
Syed Areeb Ahmed was among nine Pakistanis who were killed on March 15 when a white supremacist shot people inside two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
On Monday, his sobbing father Syed Ayaz Ahmed, family members and government officials received his body.
Ahmed was an only son who had immigrated to New Zealand for work, according to his uncle Muhammad Muzaffar Khan.
Last week, Pakistan observed a day of mourning for the victims and honored another Pakistani, Naeem Rashid, who died along with his son after trying to tackle the gunman.
New Zealand's prime minister has announced a top-level inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the massacre of 50 people in two Christchurch mosques.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the country's highest form of investigation, a royal commission of inquiry, was appropriate for "matters of the gravest public importance."
Her Cabinet had previously agreed on holding an inquiry, but had not decided what kind of investigation would be held.
She said the Cabinet agreed Monday a royal commission of inquiry "will look at what could have or should have been done to prevent the attack."
An Australian white supremacist has been charged with murder for the March 15 attacks.
Left-arm seamer Shaheen Afridi (3-28) had helped reduce the Black Caps to 46-4 and 83-5, when Kane Williamson was out for 41.
Christchurch police launched an urgent investigation on Wednesday to find out whether a man who died after an early morning stand-off with armed officers had links to mosque attacks which killed 50 people.
The French Council of the Muslim Faith (CFCM) said on Monday it was suing internet giants Facebook and YouTube for allowing the public broadcast of a live video by the man who carried out the New Zealand mosque massacre this month.
Prashant, working for a software company in Hyderabad, was missing since April 29, 2017 and his family had lodged complaint with the police.
Nearly half a million people have been displaced this year in Burkina Faso alone. The landlocked country has become the new hunting ground for extremists linked to the Islamic State group and al-Qaida.
The Dubai Chamber, General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs and the Dubai Free Zone Council sign MoU to launch the "Be Part of Dubai" initiative.