Erin McKenna's Chocolate Chip Cookies in process. TNS
Genevieve Ko, TNS
From the recipe by Erin McKenna of the eponymous bakery, these cookies have the crunchy edges of classic chocolate chip. The cookies taste extra rich from a generous proportion of coconut oil and with vanilla fragrance.
VEGAN GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
2 hours, largely unattended. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
2 3/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup refined coconut oil, melted
6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup vegan gluten-free chocolate chips
1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add the coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract and stir with a spoon until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes and up to one day.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper (or work in 3 batches).
3. Using a measuring tablespoon or a half-ounce cookie scoop, drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. Using the bottom of a glass, press gently on each dough ball to flatten it into a one-third-inch-thick round. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
4. Working with one sheet at a time, bake the cookies for 10 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake until golden brown, about 4 minutes longer.
5. Let cool completely on the sheets on wire racks, at least 30 minutes. The cookies need to cool completely before handling or they will break.
Make Ahead: The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Sometimes it’s absolutely imperative to go and have yourself checked out. It doesn’t matter if you do not exhibit symptoms of anything. Even if you feel 100 per cent well you should still have yourself checked out. Recently a British television journalist was diagnosed with colon cancer even though he felt absolutely fine and showed no sign or symptoms. The only reason it was discovered was because he went and had his annual physical.
The United Arab Emirates’ unflinching faith in the Prophet — who took the entire civilisational process under his wing and made it bow to God’s ways — set the ethical tone of the country. It couldn’t have gone wrong. And it didn’t.
Children are the most vulnerable in our society. They are impressionable and will believe anything people tell them. They are enticed by colours, sounds, tastes and even by the way something smells.
It’s sad, the food crises in Somalia. The arid nature of the region coupled with draught makes the lives of the inhabitants a literal living hell. Humanitarian aid cannot reach fast enough and to the most deserving. While some humans in some parts of the world are actively engaged in raping the environment
A fresh and vibrant salad of soft organic new potatoes tossed with seasonal French beans, tender ribbons of courgette, fresh basil and zingy lemon.
Do an hour or more of daily exercise and stay hydrated to improve the condition and control fainting or dizziness episodes, finds a NASA-funded study on astronauts.
Fifty years ago, American astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans in history to set foot on the moon, an event watched on television by half a billion people.