Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 14 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
American forces begin to withdraw from Syrian areas
January 12, 2019
 Print    Send to Friend

Hasakeh: The US-led coalition in Syria has begun withdrawing its troops, a spokesman said on Friday, less than a month after US President Donald Trump announced the shock pullout.

It remained unclear how long it would take Washington to withdraw its forces, which have led the battle against the Daesh group since 2014. “CJTF-OIR has begun the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria,” spokesman Colonel Sean Ryan told AFP in a statement, referring to the US-led anti-militant force.

“Out of concern for operational security, we will not discuss specific timelines, locations or troops movements,” he said. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the coalition had started scaling down its presence at Rmeilan airfield in the Hasakeh province of northeastern Syria.

“On Thursday, some American forces withdrew from the Rmeilan military base,” said Rami Abdel Rahman, the head of the Britain-based monitoring organisation. He said some 150 US troops, around 10 armoured vehicles and some heavy equipment had left the base.

“This is the first such pullout of American forces since the US president’s announcement” last month, he said.

The US-led coalition has several other bases across northeastern Syria, as well as in neighbouring Iraq, where Trump has said American forces will remain.

A US defence official in Washington had earlier confirmed to AFP that equipment was being removed from Syria. The US-led coalition, which also includes countries such as France and Britain, was formed in mid-2014 to counter Daesh, which had seized swathes of Iraq and Syria.

Agence France-Presse

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
UAE continues to help displaced Syrians in Lebanon
BEIRUT: The UAE Embassy in Lebanon has launched the second phase of the UAE Response Campaign for Displaced Syrians “Winter 2019 - Lebanon”, to provide food supplies, bla..
Five US soldiers, others killed in bomb attack in Syria
ISTANBUL: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said 20 people were killed in the bomb attack in northern Syria on Wednesday, including five US troops. A US official had ea..
US troop pullout from Syria will happen: Pompeo
CAIRO: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that a full US troop withdrawal from Syria announced by President Donald Trump last month will go ahead despite wid..
Winter aid for Syrian refugees
ABU DHABI: Sheikh Hamdan Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s Representative in Al Dhafra Region and Chairman of the Emirates Red Crescent (ERC) has ordered the launch of a winte..
UAE reopens embassy in Syria
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright