Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 3 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Damascus denies use of chlorine in Aleppo
February 16, 2017
 Print    Send to Friend

DAMASCUS: Syria’s government on Wednesday fiercely denied accusations by Human Rights Watch that it used chemical weapons in its battle for Aleppo, shrugging off the group’s report as “unprofessional and unscientific”.

 In a major report released on Monday, Human Rights Watch said Syrian government forces had carried out at least eight chemical attacks in late 2016 as they were fighting to capture second city Aleppo.

 But a Syrian foreign ministry source cited by state media said the report was based on fabricated testimony.

 “The government of the Syrian Arab Republic altogether denies the false allegations made in Human Rights Watch’s report,” the source said.

 “Human Rights Watch’s reliance on terrorist media sources and on fake eyewitnesses... proves this report’s lack of credibility,” it said, describing the conclusions as “unprofessional and unscientific.”

 HRW said it interviewed witnesses, collected photos and reviewed video footage indicating that chlorine bombs were dropped from government helicopters during the offensive from November 17 to December 13.

 It concluded that nine people, including four children, were killed and another 200 were injured by the toxic gases used on opposition-controlled areas of the northern city.

 Syria’s government regained full control of Aleppo in late December, in the biggest win for President Bashar Al-Assad’s regime since the conflict first began in March 2011.

 Chlorine use as a weapon is banned under the Chemical Weapons Convention, which Syria joined in 2013 under pressure from Russia.

 A joint investigation by the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) found that several units of the Syrian army had used toxic weapons against three villages in northern Syria in 2014 and 2015.

 And in January, the United States announced new sanctions against 18 senior Syrian miliary officers and officials over the use of chemical weapons.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
Save Idlib from fate of Aleppo, pleads Mistura
BRUSSELS: The UN’s Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura on Tuesday urged the world to prevent a fresh humanitarian disaster in the rebel-held region of Idlib, as officials warn..
Aleppo expects Iran power boost soon
ALEPPO: The power supply in Syria’s Aleppo will be boosted this year thanks to new capacity installed by its ally Iran, a step towards reviving the industrial hub whose e..
Turkey sets up military post around Aleppo
ISTANBUL: Turkish forces set up a military post southwest of the Syrian city of Aleppo on Monday, the army said, the deepest position they have established so far inside ..
Air raids kill 21 civilians in Aleppo
BEIRUT: At least 21 civilians, including five children, were killed on Monday in air strikes on Syria’s northern Aleppo province, despite a “de-escalation zone” in place ..
Russia seeks to rebuild Aleppo after helping retake it
ALEPPO: In September 2015, Moscow began carrying out air strikes that have allowed Syrian troops to retake swathes of territory — including Aleppo. Now that it is back..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright