Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 0 minute ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
Morocco complains to UN of W.Sahara truce violations
January 13, 2019
 Print    Send to Friend

UNITED NATIONS: Morocco has accused Polisario Front fighters in Western Sahara of violating a ceasefire agreement, just weeks before an expected new round of talks on ending the decades-old conflict.

In a letter seen by media on Friday, Morocco’s UN Ambassador Omar Hilale cited three incidents from Jan.6 to Jan.8 in which the Polisario Front staged drills, drove military vehicles in a buffer zone and opened up a new facility.

Morocco “strongly condemns these destabilizing actions” that violate a military agreement and “dangerously threaten the ceasefire,” wrote Hilale in the letter sent to the UN Security Council on Thursday.

He described the movements as “provocations” that could jeopardize UN-brokered talks on ending the Western Sahara conflict, and urged the Security Council and Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to condemn the Polisario.

Last month, Morocco sat down with the Polisario Front, Algeria and Mauritania for the first talks in six years aimed at settling the conflict over Western Sahara, which Rabat claims is an integral part of the kingdom.

The Algeria-backed Polisario fought a war with Morocco from 1975 to 1991, when a ceasefire deal was agreed and a UN peace mission deployed to monitor the truce.

The Polisario Front is demanding a referendum on independence for the territory, which Morocco has flatly rejected.

The conflict has remained frozen for decades, but Morocco and the Polisario agreed during last month’s talks brokered by UN envoy and former German president Horst Koehler in Geneva to meet again in early 2019.

Agence France-Presse
 

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
End Polisario ‘provocation,’ Morocco urges UN
RABAT: Morocco’s King Mohammed VI on late Friday asked the United Nations (UN) to take urgent measures to end “provocation” by the Algeria-backed Polisario Front threaten..
Morocco pledges commitment to W.Sahara truce
RABAT: Morocco’s envoy to the United Nations has said Rabat is committed to a ceasefire in Western Sahara after the UN voiced fears of renewed hostilities in the disputed..
Polisario protests to UN over Moroccan W.Sahara operation
ALGIERS: The Polisario movement campaigning for the independence of the Western Sahara has protested to the United Nations over a Moroccan security operation in the dispu..
Morocco closes UN military liaison office in W. Sahara
RABAT: The United Nations said it has closed its military liaison office in Dakhla, Western Sahara at the request of Morocco and withdrew three military observers posted ..
UN staffers pull out of Western Sahara mission
RABAT: Dozens of United Nations (UN) international staffers pulled out of their Western Sahara mission on Sunday after Morocco demanded they leave because of remarks by U..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright