Classifieds | Archives | Jobs | About TGT | Contact | Subscribe
 | 
Last updated 5 hours, 37 minutes ago
Printer Friendly Version | TGT@Twitter | RSS Feed |
HOME LOCAL MIDEAST ASIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORT OPINION WRITERS
‘Sending Arab troops to Syria a possibility’
May 05, 2018
 Print    Send to Friend

CAIRO: Sending Arab troops to Syria is a possibility that is being discussed by officials from various countries, Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry was quoted on Friday as saying.

But a foreign ministry spokesman said Shoukry, who was speaking at a function on Wednesday night, was not raising the possibility that Egypt itself might be ready to send forces to Syria, adding that such a decision was subject to constitutional constraints.

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that the administration of US President Donald Trump was seeking to assemble an Arab force to replace the U. military contingent in Syria.

“In regards to the situation in Syria, Shoukry said that the idea of replacing forces with another that may be Arab is a possibility,” Al Ahram quoted the Shoukry as telling journalists.

“This proposition is not only being discussed by the media, but also during discussions and deliberations amongst officials of states to look into how these ideas could contribute to stabilising Syria,” he added, according to Al Ahram.

Shoukry did not name the countries discussing the matter. But an Egyptian Foreign Ministry official said Shoukry’s comments did not pertain to Egypt.

“The principles that govern sending Egyptian forces outside the country are known to everybody. That won’t happen unless it was in line with constitutional mechanisms, and rules and regulations that have been affirmed more than once, such as cases related to United Nations peacekeeping operations,” said Ahmed Abu Zeid in a statement.

Egypt is the most populous country in the Arab World and has the strongest army.

Saudi Arabia said last month it was open to sending troops to Syria under wider coalition.

Reuters

Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites
Comments
 
Post a comment
 
Name:
Country:
City:
Email:
Comment:
 
    
    
Related Stories
US a threat to Syria’s territorial integrity: Lavrov
MOSCOW: Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday that the United States’ control over the eastern bank of the Euphrates river posed the main threat to Syria..
Thousands head home after Idlib deal: Monitor
DAMASCUS: Thousands of residents of Syria’s last major rebel bastion Idlib headed home within 48 hours of the announcement of a deal to avoid a government offensive to re..
Regime accidentally shoots down Russian plane, 15 killed
MOSCOW: President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that the shooting down of a Russian military plane near Syria’s seacoast was the result of a chain of tragic and chance c..
Idlib deal must protect civilians: EU
BRUSSELS: A deal struck between Turkey and Russia to avoid an assault on Syria’s last major rebel stronghold in Idlib province must protect civilians and ensure humanitar..
Damascus hails accord
DAMASCUS: The agreement reached between Russia and Turkey over the northwestern province of Idlib, vowing that Damascus will continue the fight against rebels. The min..
FRONTPAGE
 
GALLERY
 
PANORAMA
 
TIME OUT
 
SPORT
 
 
Advertise | Copyright